Basecamp East is fully committed to safeguarding the wellbeing of all children & young people with whom we interact and to the implementation of policies and practices that protect children and vulnerable adults from harm.
In it’s recruitment policies, day to day instruction, caring and management of children Basecamp East and it’s employees adhere to the recommendations of;
- Children First: National Guidelines for the Protection and of Children, published by the Department of Children and Youth affairs.
Code of behaviour for staff
We practice safe recruitment in checking the suitability of staff and volunteers to work with children and Basecamp East employees accept and recognise their responsibilities regarding the safeguarding of children and will endeavour to carry these out by:
- Having an awareness of the issues which cause children harm
- Providing safe outdoor and indoor space for children, ensuring they are safeguarded, physically and emotionally, in a healthy fun environment.
- Actively listen to them, taking account of their expression of needs and concerns.
- Valuing and respecting them as individuals.
- Involving them in decisions made about them when possible.
Basecamp East does not accept the following behaviours and will intervene to ensure the fair and equitable treatment of all children:
- Sarcasm, name-calling,Slagging, and other forms of scapegoating
- Favouring some to the exclusion of others
- Abusive language or gestures
- Negative criticism of young people’s values, beliefs and opinions
- Negatively highlighting physical, social or emotional differences